My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Friday, June 23, 2006

I Left My Hair at the Cornucopia

It is another beautiful morning in Connecticut, and as I sit in my little attic room of the Cornucopia, I can see an apricot colored sun rising in the sky over the trees. I have been awake since 5:30 a.m. I am not sure what exactly caused me to evolve from a night owl to an early bird over the last month or so, but it seems to be more consistent with what nature has intended. I believe our bodies speak to us and tell us what they need in terms of rest and nutrition and activity, but most of the time, most of us just aren't listening. I have begun listening. Our bodies truly are temples since they house our spirits, and our spirits make each of us who we are.

I have had to remind myself of that this week as I watched my beautiful, thick, head of hair diminish over the last several days to a thin,wispy, inadequate covering of stray locks. It really wasn't my desire or plan to ever see my naked head, but then life has a really great way of just throwing things our way, and we deal. So I am dealing, and in the big scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal. I was telling my classmates that the hardest part has been when I look in the mirror and I don't recognize the person looking back. One of them, Max, a big gruff teddy bear of a guy, offered , "Well then, you just aren't looking deep enough." He's right, of course.

I guess the other hard part has been that the hair loss has been the first outward physical sign of the cancer. Before you couldn't look at me and tell I had cancer. Now I feel like a walking billboard for chemo treatments. It will be interesting to see how or if people react differently to me. Will they feel sorry for me? Will they avoid me or avoid the subject? Probably all of the above at some point over the next few months.

I will be departing the Cornucupia soon and heading off for my last day of training. It has been a really good week. I have reconnected with my classmates and gotten a renewed sense of commitment to my business and helping others become self-sufficient through business ownership. I am ready to get back home to the family, but first, another day of learning awaits, and I must go pick out a hat to wear.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Planet Subaru Blogger said…

    This reminds me of the Randy Travis song where he sings,

    "Honey I don't care,
    I ain't in love with your hair,
    And if it all fell out,
    Well I'd love you anyway."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home