My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Still Feeling Fine, but the Hair...

I am two days into my second chemo treatment, and I feel really good. In fact, if I hadn't personally experienced three hours worth of toxic chemicals dripping into my body, I wouldn't know it from how I feel. Now how I look, specifically in the the hair category, well that's a different story. I had heard it would start falling out about two weeks after my first treatment, and sure enough, it's starting to go, but quite gracefully so far. If just run my fingers through my hair, several strands come out each time. But you know what? It's okay because that means the chemo is working. Chemo works by killing fast growing cells, which cancer cells are. Our bodies, however, have other rapidly dividing cells, like our hair, that aren't immune to the effects of the chemo. While some chemo drugs do not cause hair loss, the ones they administer to breast cancer patients, pretty much universally do.

Luckily, I had my appointment yesterday, with the Hat Trader. Suzy is a wonderful woman. She had breast cancer several years ago and now collects hats, wigs, and scarves to loan out to women undergoing chemotherapy. She had quite a collection, and I left with four wigs and about 20 hats and scarves. My sister-in-law, JoLynn, accompanied me, and we had a lot of fun trying on the hats. They were very helpful in determining my best hat look. It appears that wide brim is very flattering, while the turban look is most definitely out. JoLynn is planning on having a hat party for me in July. Everyone wears a hat and brings a hat.

Before scooting home for my date night with Bo, JoLynn and I went by Fantastic Sam's so that I could get my hair cut again. I got it cut very short several weeks ago, but I went ahead and got it cut super short. That will make it easier as it thins. Bo will appreciate the drains not clogging up, and for some reason, short strands falling out aren't quite as dramatic as longer short strands falling out.... The sytlist was great, and her name was Angel. I took that as a very positive sign.

We also went by the doctor's office for my shot of Neulasta, the white blood cell promoting drug. The nurse checked for my biopsy results from the left breast, but they weren't in the computer yet. I should know something on Monday. At this point, it won't have any impact on the treatment plan, but it sure would be reassuring to know that the cancer is confined to the right side.

I am feeling well enough to go to Phase II training for my new business next week. Not to mention, for the first time in a month, I have no medical appointments or procedures scheduled for next week. That's progress! I spent nearly two weeks with the seven other participants earlier in the year at Phase I training, so I will be among friends. If I don't have any postings next week, it will only be because of inaccessbility to the internet. I am sharing a suite in a bed and breakfast with a classmate, Charity. It will be very pleasant, but I am not sure about the computer access there.

My friend, Betty, drove to Williamsburg from Richmond this afternoon, and we ate lunch outside at my favorite restaurant in Colonial Williamsburg, the Trellis. It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed strolling through through the colonial area. We have been doing that together for the last 20 years that we have been friends. She said she likes my new style better than any haircut she has ever seen on me! Well that is good, because it sure won't take long to achieve this look again once my hair starts coming back in later this year!

I have to admit that it is very disconcerting to watch your hair start to fall out. While I wouldn't say I have been in a state of denial about my situation, the hair loss certainly reinforces the reality of it, even more than the many medical procedures I have been undergoing. Well, as I mentioned earlier, it means the chemo is working, and my hair will be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home