My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

First Real Posting

This posting will be longer than I plan in the future, just because there was a lot of activity this week, and I am just now getting around to writing everything out.

I worked on Tuesday and managed to squeeze in a radical new hair cut. My hair is now the shortest it has been in many years. Bo says it makes me look younger, but you know, Bo. He always says the right thing. I cut it in anticipation of losing it by the end of the month. My sister-in-law, JoLynn, is going to look for wigs with me next week. I always wondered what it was like to be a blonde... but I am sure my more traditional side will win out, and dark brunette, I will remain.

Wednesday, I ended up at an impromptu visit with the nurse practicioner, Anna, at the surgeon's office in Newport News. They surgically implanted the porta-cath in my left chest (for receiving chemo treatments, taking blood, giving medication, etc.) last Friday. It had grown tender and swollen overnight, and sure enough, I had a hematoma where blood had leaked into the cavity. They just drew off the blood and sent me on my way. (Anna was just diagnosed with breast cancer herself about six weeks ago and is also undergoing chemo. She is very upbeat and very inspirational.)

It was back to Williamsburg where I experienced my first MRI. They scanned both breasts - it is part of the staging tests. I ask lots of questions and got a brief physics lesson in the process. Basically, what I learned is that this big monstrous piece of claustrophobic equipment that emits very louds noises for extended periods of time somehow moves the hydrogen around in my body in order to give the radiologist a good image of the inside of my breasts. Test results will be in early next week.

I also went to the oncologist's office for my "chemo training." On the way to that appointment, I stopped to grab a sandwich at Subway, and honest to God, this really happened. I asked for a turkey sub on wheat with all the vegetables they could possibly put on it. The young guy behind the counter said, "Oh, so you are trying to prevent cancer?" I paused, trying to find just the right response, and I finally said, "No, it's too late for that. Now, I am just trying to beat it!" I have decided in the future not to blurt that information out to strangers because that poor guy probably kicked himself all day, and that is absolutely not what I intended - really! I bet he never makes that comment again though...

So, back to chemo training. The nurse, Gloria, spent an hour with me going over the possible side effects. I decided to consider that information in the same way I consider the one page of side effects you get from the pharmacist whenever you get a prescription filled. It happens to some people but not all people, and I intend to feel as good as I possibly can. Besides, the drugs they give you for side effects now have come a long way. The only disappointing news was that I shouldn't eat any raw fruit or vegetables that can't be peeled. What? In the summer - season of bounty? They don't want me to get parasites, and when you put it that way, I don't either, so what's five months of eating cooked unpeelable fruits and veggies? No biggie. Now I probably won't be back to Subway any time soon either for that turkey and veggie sub.

Today, I went down to the hospital in Hampton for a CT scan and PET scan. For the CT scan I had to drink barium, a big styrofoam cup of barium. I told the receptionist it would taste better if mixed in a blender with ice and presented with a little umbrella upon serving. She laughed, but I don't believe my suggestion will go anywhere. I asked if they adjust for body size, and they actually don't which doesn't make sense to me. Next time, I am requesting a smaller cup, since I am down to about 112 pounds and don't think it is good for me to absorb the same amount of barium as people twice my weight.

I went outside to the parking lot to what looked like a big book mobile, but it was actually a imaging lab on wheels which contained another monstrous, claustrophobic piece of equipment. First, I received an IV with radioactive sugar. Before they administered this stuff (for lack of a better word) to me, they removed it from a lead box in a safe with signs screaming "Radioactive" everywhere. Hmmm... Then the nurse, Frances, left the room and said she was closing the door to protect herself from the radioactivity. Hmmmm.... All in the name of my future health, I guess. (and by the way, I am not claustrophobic, and none of the scans has been at all uncomfortable.) Also, Frances' Mom is currently undergoing biopsies and other tests for breast cancer - her results are still inconclusive.

The difference between the MRI and the CT scan and Pet scan were the sound effects. The CT and Pet scan were mercifully quiet, and I actually got to hear the music playing in the room. Also, the CT, PET scan machine took me for a little ride. The "bed" would automatically move me through the cylinder as the machine scanned different parts of my body. Finally, for this procedure, I was actually able to keep my clothes on too, which these days, is a good thing!

Again, I asked a lot of questions. The PET scan can show cancer at the cellular level, so they will be able to find out exactly where the cancer is in my body - eyes to thighs, anyway. The CT scan will also pick up things that shouldn't be there.

Then it was back to the surgeon's office so they could check the porta-cath again. I was good to go, so we quickly headed back to Williamsburg for my first chemo treatment. Bo was with me. We were there for about three hours. They had a nice reclining chair for me, and we actually watched a movie we hadn't seen before, a remake of The In-Laws, and ate Taco Bell. The movie was cute and pretty funny. I would give it three stars. It was the best quiet time Bo and I have been able to have for the last several weeks! I feel fine. We all went for a walk tonight. I am calling it a day and will write again when I have more updates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home