My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Great News!!!

Today I received the best news I have heard in the last three weeks since this medical drama began for me. The MRI, CT, and PET scan results came back today. One of the nurse practicioners from the surgeon's office, Donna, was checking the computer throughout the day for me, and mercifully called this afternoon so that I wouldn't have to wonder all weekend. The MRI, of course, confirmed cancer in the right breast. There was a area of suspician on the left side that may or may not be cancer. They had performed a biopsy of several sites and a lymph node on the left side two weeks ago and everything came back normal, so it may very well be nothing. If it is cancer, the chemo will take care of it.

The absolute best news was that the CT and PET scans came back fine which means the cancer has not spread to other organs. Hallelujah! I literally cried with joy and immediately called my Dad and brothers and sister (and as many other friends and family members I could fit in this evening) to share the good news. Now, if you had told me a month ago that I would be relieved to only have breast cancer with lymph node involvement, I would have called you all kinds of names. Now, when put in perspective, compared to what I could be dealing with, I am thrilled! Thanks to all of you who have kept me in your thoughts and prayers during this time, and please keep them coming. I know what I have is very serious, and I am facing five months of chemo, then surgery, and then radiation, but this news makes the battle easier. I will meet with Donna on Monday to discuss the results in detail.

On a less medical, more.... hmmm.... well, new-agey kind of note... I had a consultation with a hypnotist today. Her name is Andi, and I met her in my networking group or otherwise, I probably wouldn't have even thought of hypnosis. Even if I had thought of it, I wouldn't have known what to do with the thought, but there she was, and I don't believe in accidental encounters. Andi gave me a brief history of hypnosis, and "new-agey", besides not even being a word, is also not an accurate descriptor. Hypnosis actually has been around for more than a hundred years and was first recognized as being practiced by a guy named Mesmer (as in mesmerized). It has been recognized as having a legitimate medical application but has come in and out of accepted medical use for a variety of reasons, none related to the efficacy of hypnosis. It is beginning to come back into favor.

Now those of you who know me well probably don't have a hard time believing that I just cannot relax. (Although, you may have a hard time believing that I am finally admitting it and am committed to doing something about it!) Well, I have been very anxious lately. The anxiety began earlier this year with my new business, but it has now obviously been replaced with a different anxiety. I figure I have enough foreign "stuff" entering my body these days, so if I can learn to relax naturally, then I don't have to rely on more chemicals. Andi needs a release from my doctor in order to work with me because of my medical condition, but I don't think that will be a problem. My surgeon, Dr. H, has a pretty holistic approach to healing. Andi is going to be able to help me sleep better, meditate, use visualization techniques, and just plain relax. For those of you have come to know and love, or just plain endure, my driven personality, I promise a new and improved me; although, I am not sure what that looks like yet.

By the way, I have not experienced any side effects from the chemo yet that I can tell, and I feel "normal." I have been so out of sorts lately, that I am not exactly sure what "normal" feels like anymore, but I do feel the same way today that I felt before the chemo, so that's normal for now. When I went to receive my shot of Neulasta this afternoon, the nurse, Olivia, told me I could expect my hair to fall out in the next two to three weeks, so I need to get a move on with finding my "cranial prosthesis." I, too, was blissfully unaware of this medical terminology until recently, but cranial prosthesis is a highly techical medical term that when written on a prescription pad and signed by a member of the medical community, may compel insurance companies to pay for a wig.

One last thing before I sign off, the shot of Neulasta is administered 24 hours after the chemo is given and promotes growth of white blood cells. That is a good thing - especially since it represents the last time I am poked, probed, or pricked this week! Yes, a very good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home