My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

More Great Test Results

The wireless internet access at the Cornucopia at Oldfield in Southbury, Connecticut is working just fine up in my nice cozy, little attic room. I arrived late Sunday night at this bed and breakfast after picking up my friend, Charity, at Bradley Field in Hartford. As I was hanging up my clothes in the closet, I noticed that the entire back wall of the closet contained shelves filled with book and materials on breasts, more specifically, breast feeding, but nonetheless, breasts. The owner was formerly a lactation consultant for 21 years, so breasts were her business. It was kind of ironic, and I guess served as a good reminder that I have three healthy sons, all of whom I was able to nourish as infants through breast feeding. Breasts are a beautiful thing.

Both the imaging center and the oncologist's office called me Monday to let me know the biopsy results. I can't say enough about how great the medical staff has been everywhere in terms of reaching out to me. As soon as tests results are accessible, they have been in touch with me so I haven't had to keep calling. The biopsy results on the left side came back fine, as I had suspected and of course, hoped. Nonetheless, it is a huge psychological boost to have confirmation that the cancer is contained to the right side.

Remember my multi gate acquisition aka the MUGA? Well, it showed that my heart is operating at 73%, and normal would be about 60%, so I am in awesome shape to withstand the chemo. Must have been all that walking on the treadmill...

I am still feeling so good physically. I have been listening to my hypnosis tape every night before I go to sleep, and it reinforces the message about being healthy and feeling healthy, so apparently my subconscious is listening to that part. My subconscious, however, has ignored the healthy hair message. My hair is coming out a lot less gracefully now. If I pull a comb through my hair, the result is as if I used thinning shears. I believe I have probably lost what would be a head's worth of hair on most people, but my hair is so thick, it isn't really noticeable yet.

Well, it is a beautiful day in Connecticut, and I am looking forward to all the day has to offer. May yours be the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home