My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Day of Tropical Storms and More Tests

It was another beautiful day in Williamsburg, just very, very wet. We received the remnants of Alberto during the night and throughout the day.

Today I went for yet another scan. This one was called a MUGA, and for all of us medical novices, that is simply the Multiple Gated Acquisition. Oh yes, that test, of course, the multiple gated acquisition. Actually it can be described best as a heart efficiency test. It required more radioactive "stuff" to be injected into my veins. (The syringe in the lead box gave it away, not to mention those darling little yellow radioactive signs everywhere again.) Like the other scanning machines, this too involved a very large piece equipment, but it was quiet, and efficient, and once again did not require me to disrobe. It captured images of red blood cells circulating about my heart. Some of the chemo drugs can damage the heart muscle, and these scans will monitor the condition of my heart.

Then it was a race across town (while eating lunch in the car) for my next scheduled appearance which happened to be at the imaging center. I had an ultrasound on Monday to locate the "areas of suspicion" detected in the MRI. Today, a biopsy of the areas was done. Dr. D., the radiologist, declared one to be a cyst. She took core biopsies of the other one, and I should have the results by the end of the week. I am confident that it is not cancer. I asked her how many women get cancer on both sides, and she indicated about 5%. It is more common with lobular cancer, and I have infiltrating ductile cancer.

The staff at the imaging center has been really wonderful. Dr. D. has patiently answered my many questions and concerns and has been so thorough with my care. The techs have all been so warm and concerned and attentive. They have literally held my hand, supplied me with tissues, consoled me, and encouraged me. One of them reminded me that if I end up having a double mastectomy, that I will never have to submit to another mammogram! Hmmm... I never quite thought about it that way, but you gotta keep focusing on the positive. I told them I would come back and visit anyway.

Bryan (my sister's ex-husband but more like my big brother), left today after having spent five days with us. We enjoyed the visit, and I think he went home feeling very relieved to see that I really am doing well, and that it is pretty much business as usual at the Gibson household. We welcome any and all visitors, but I need to let you know, Bryan cleaned windows while he was here. The bar has been set, but it can be raised.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home