My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Wider Audience

Ever since being diagnosed with cancer, I have tried to make draw meaning from the experience, to learn and grow from it, and to find ways to help others as a result of it. (I believe this one one of the good "symptons" of cancer and many people develop it. For instance, Art, one of the frequent contributors to the comment section of my blog, now runs marathons to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphona Society following his own experience with lymphoma. This weekend, I had the pleasure of meeting The Good Health Fairy, a women who had breast cancer several years ago and now visits breast cancer patients through the Reach for Recovery Progam. So much of the fundraising, awareness, legislation, resources, support groups, organizations, etc. for cancer, are due to patients and former patients becoming activists.)

I have been searching for my own way to contribute to the cause and have decided that building awareness of the disease and how women need to be advocates for their own health is a good start. Last Monday, I sent an e-mail to the editor of a new, local weekly newspaper and told her a little bit about myself. I offered to assist her with any efforts she may have had planned to cover National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October. She e-mailed me back and asked if I could meet with her the next day. She told me that she had actually been "googling" over the weekend to find out what was significant in October and discovered that is was National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. She was in need of a story for the next edition of the paper and knew she wanted to cover that topic. I don't believe in coincidences anymore. The universe conspired to bring us together, and the results of that conspiracy are available at http://www.toano-norgetimes.com/too_much_pink.htm I am grateful to Rosemary for giving me the opportunity to tell my story and for helping me in my quest to help others in any way I can.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Planet Subaru Blogger said…

    So that got me thinking I should go the doctor to look at all these spots and moles from my pool days as a child before the discovery of the importance of sunscreen. I'm sure they're nothing....but I better check! (Appointment is Thursday).

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She does look fabulous, doesn't she? But, trust me, the photo didn't do her justice.
    You are an amazing woman...inside and out. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that you contacted me. I wanted you to know that I've been thinking about you and thought about you first thing Wednesday morning when I woke up.
    BTW, I got a nice note from the Hat Trader...she had asked me to send her a copy of the paper. She remarked as to how wonderful you looked.
    Peach fuzz, blonde, red or purple hair...three eyelashes or 300...you're amazing!
    Thanks for the card...please keep in touch.
    Rosemary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home