My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bo's Update and More About Me, Too

Bo went to his doctor on Tuesday to discuss the results of his blood tests. All the tests results were fine except his testororone level was low. (That's what being a stay-at-home Dad for seven years does to you!) One of the causes of gynecomastia is hormonal fluctuations, but Dr. S isn't sure what is causing the fluctuations. There are some other issues going on as well, but I will spare you all the sordid details. I am sure Bo will also appreciate not having his sensitive health matters exposed to the world, so to speak. Next steps for Bo: an appointment with a urologist in which couldn't be scheduled until the middle of September and an ultrasound to rule out testicular cancer (a highly remote possibility). Thanks to everyone who called to check in on Bo and see how his visit went. He was quite relieved and will feel even better following the appointment with the urologist.

I had my sixth chemo treatment yesterday, and I only have two more to go. Woo hoo! I am 75% of the way there. In six weeks, I will be done with these toxic, yet life saving chemical drips. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next Wednesday, and I am hopeful that the tumor continues to diminish in size. As has been the case all along, I feel great. My energy level is normal, and I have been able to maintain a strenuous exercise schedule. I have not experienced any nausea either. I am truly fortunate. I do believe I am suffering from chemo brain, however. I went to yoga tonight and forgot to bring my yoga mat in, so I had to go out to the car to get it. As I was driving home after class, I realized I had left the yoga mat on the floor. Oh well. It's better than throwing up!

My son, Clay, the six year old, I am certain is destined for a career in drama (or a life of drama - one or the other!). I say that for a number of reasons including his active imagination, his creativity, his theatrical tendencies, his sensitivity, and his very loud voice which projects for miles. We were in Walmart shopping in the meat section one day when he bellowed in a voice made for the stage, "Mom, do you still have breast cancer?" Out of the mouths of babes... "Yes, honey, I still have breast cancer, but I am going to be just fine," I responded in my usual, soft-spoken voice. I didn't look around to see who witnessed this exchange, not that it mattered to me, but I didn't want anyone to feel awkward.

It didn't dawn on me until weeks later that if I had had the surgery first, I would have been able to answer that question differently. If I had had the surgery first, I could say that I had cancer and was now just receiving treatment to ensure it doesn't return. By having the chemo first, I still have cancer and will until the day of the surgery. Remember I said I would be celebrating on October 4, the day of my last chemo treatment? An even bigger celebration will occur when I awaken from the surgery and know that the tumor is gone. Then I can say that I had cancer.

Yesterday I asked Gloria, my oncology nurse and now good buddy, when the surgery would be scheduled, and she said it varies by surgeon, but it is usually anywhere from three to six weeks after the completion of chemo and is dependent on the blood counts. My preference is for the three week timeframe, so I will have to have a conversation with Dr. H about this. My preference should count for something!

I had to go back by the oncologist's office today for a shot of Neulasta since my white blood count last time didn't recover as quickly without it as was desired, and they want to keep me on schedule for treatments. Now that I know how much the shots cost, I feel that they should make the earth move under my feet, clean my house, and change the oil in my car, at a minimum. Alas, it just hurt going in as usual. I guess I will have to settle on just a speedier increased white blood count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home