My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Confirmation

I was back at the Women's Imaging Center this morning with ultrasound films in hand. Of all the procedures I have experienced in the last few months, ultrasound has become my favorite because it is the least invasive procedure and involves no noisy or claustrophia invoking machines, sharp instruments, consumption of mysterious and nasty tasting cocktails, radioactivity, or side effects. Also, the results are available immediately. What more could you want in a medical procedure?

After the ultrasound tech took the measurements, she printed off the films and brought them to the radiologist on duty. Dr. D wasn't in today, and I had never met the other doctor before. He popped into the room long enough to share the results. On May 15, the day of the original ultrasound and the day I first heard I had cancer, the larger mass measured 3.5 centimeters. Today, that same mass measured 2.6 centimeters. The tenacious entity isn't as tenacious as I am! If the MRI is to be believed, that means the tumor has done all of its shrinking in the last two weeks. Ultrasound certainly isn't as accurate as an MRI; nonetheless, there is now confirmation, beyond just physical touch, that the tumor is diminishing in size.

I felt relieved and happy as I left the Imaging Center and headed over to the oncologist's office for my lab work. Gloria, my oncology nurse took a peek at my mouth and speculated that the chemo is giving me a sore throat, thus, the salsa effect. I have no evidence of mouth sores. She called in a prescription for a mouth wash that should help. I told her that I don't really feel tired, but I think the chemo may be catching up with me a bit. When I was on the treadmill yesterday, I was able to do my 45 minute workout, but it wasn't at my usual intensity. She said that the effects of the chemo are cumulative, so with each treatment, I may experience more side effects. Good thing I only have three left! My last one is October 4, and you all will be able to hear me celebrating all the way from Williamsburg!! Not that the chemo has been terrible for me. I have been very fortunate in that respect, but it will be one stage of the process I will be glad to have behind me so I can move on to the next, and be that much closer to cured.

My white blood counts were low, so Gloria told me to be aware of my weakened immune system and to take the appropriate precautions. She said that Dr. P did not want me on the Neulasta since my treatments are three weeks apart now, and the counts should recover in time for my next treatment.

After completing my medical appointments for the day, I headed over to Busch Gardens to meet up with Bo and the boys, his sister, JoLynn and her husband, Eric, and a friend, Marcie, and her young daughter, Casey. It was a beautiful day and was only in the 8os, compared to the triple digits we have been experiencing. Of course, that meant many other people wanted to enjoy the park as well, so it was very crowded. For me, it was a nice change from the usual work and/or medical appointments that have filled my days this summer.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Planet Subaru Blogger said…

    How cool is that, that the tumor is shrinking. Many resources have been marshalled in the effort to reduce this tumor: modern medicine, lifestyle changes, healing intention inside and outside the Gibson household. Every night before falling asleep I see in my mind's eye the size of tumor diminishing. I'm glad to see that it's really happening!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home