My Year of Healing

In May 2006, at 41, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer. I have used this blog to share my journey of healing with friends, family, and anyone who wished to read my story. The blog has helped me heal, and I thank all of you who have used it to stay abreast (smile) of my progress and who have supported me along the journey. I love you all! To learn more about my latest project, please visit www.beyondboobs.org.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Royal Update

The drain is history. I evicted it. I frankly got fed up with the extra appendage and willed my body to dry up, and it did! (I wish my kids would listen so well.) After five weeks of shower deprivation, limited mobility, wearing loose fitting clothing reminiscent of my immediate post-maternity days, and twice daily sessions of draining and measuring the seemingly endless supply of lymphatic fluid, I had a serious conversation with myself. It may sound a little “out there”, but that’s where I’ve been hanging out for the last six months or so anyway. I do believe in the body’s ability to heal itself, and I felt very empowered after reading Deepak Chopra’s latest book (compliments of my friends, Carrie and Melissa). Within two days of having THE conversation , I went from 80 cc’s to 50. The following day, I was 20 and the next, 10. Never underestimate the power of a motivated woman!

I was already scheduled for an appointment to see Donna so she could check out the wound but she was actually able to perform the final drain removal. There wasn’t much fanfare, but I walked out feeling so excited and happy that I had my body back. I had been deliberately limiting my movements as to not dislodge the drain, and it feels so good not to worry about that anymore. I would like to say I got my “groove” back, but I don’t think I ever had it to begin with…. Nonetheless, last weekend, I put on that funky music, and the kids and I had a dance party in our family room.

I had promised myself a drain-removal celebration shower of extended duration, but when I finally was able to take a shower, I was running late (story of my life), and I had to cut it short. I made up for it the next day, however. It’s such a simple thing, I know, but the next time you are in the shower, pay attention to the sensations. Pleasure can be found even in the routine when you take the time and make the effort to just be aware.

I have an appointment to see the radiologist on Thursday, and I guess at that time, we will schedule my six to seven weeks of radiation treatments....

Bo is finishing up his latest round of medicine with minimal improvement to his symptoms. He is scheduling an appointment to see a rheumatologist friend of ours after the holidays. Of all of his symptoms, most noticeable to me is his impaired short term memory, but since I am still experiencing major chemo brain, this is not a bad thing. Our conversations go something like this: “Bo, was it you that I was telling about the – insert whatever story here – or was it someone else?” Blank look on Bo’s face. “Oh, well you wouldn’t remember anyway, so I will just tell you again.” I think we are having the same conversations over and over again but neither one of us can be certain. It’s best that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home